The Internet is a fantastic source of fun and learning, but it’s worth following some simple rules to help your children stay safe online.
- Always sit with young children when they use the Internet.
- There are plenty of safe places for children to play and learn on the web (like the CBeebies website) Get to know them and save them as shortcuts in your favourites folder.
- You can adjust browser settings and filters to protect children from unsuitable sites. Internet safety organisation Internet Matters has an interactive guide to setting parental controls across your whole house.
- If you have older children who want to explore on their own, it is a good idea to keep the computer in a family room or a place you share.
- Talk to your child about how to stay safe and let them know they can come to you if they find themselves in any sort of trouble.